Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring-time Running

Spring has sprung on the East Coast...not that we really had much winter in these parts. Part of the enjoyment of living in DC during this season is the Cherry Blossoms. This year commemorates the 100th celebration of the gift of these beautiful trees from Japan during President Taft's term (don't worry...no quiz at the end).
Yesterday, my running buddy from work and I ran the inaugural Rock and Roll USA 1/2 marathon. It was a gorgeous day (although warmer than most folks expected) and I ran it much faster than I had planned (finish time was 1:57 and am paying for it today!)
Above is a picture of my fellow running divas at the finish line.
Today, I took Rhett out for a walk and we noticed that the cherry blossoms on the Potomac literally popped out over night.
Finally, last month, I had to attend a conference in Philadelphia and the weather there was also unseasonably warm (tho still cold to this Texan:-). I had some great runs around this very historic city. On my second to last day, I rose before the sun to run along the Schuylkill River trail. It just happens to run past the art museum (you know, the one from Rocky where he bounds up the steps). I don't know if I could classify it as "bounding", but I did run up the steps in time to catch the sun rise. It was beautiful! The last day, my conference ended at noon, so I took a drive up to Valley Forge. I had always wanted to see it and was too close to pass it up. It just so happens that there is a 5 mile trail loop that hits the major historical points and it was SOOOO worth the trip. Getting that run in before the drive home was just what the doctor ordered. The above shots are a few of the scenes!
Come see us soon, if you're gonna...we transfer to Millington, TN in June...WOOT WOOT!!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your race, Kim! I'm super impressed with your time in the half marathon! I love the pictures of all the neat places you've run recently. Those cherry blossoms are just beautiful. So cool that you ran up the Rocky steps at sunrise - I hope you were listening to The Eye of the Tiger!

    ReplyDelete