Tuesday, March 5, 2013

He's Officially a Ferland

Today is the day that we returned to the Civil Affairs office in order to finalize the adoption process. Basically, you pick up your child the day before and despite months (but mostly years) of paperwork...they want you to think about it for less than 24 hours before signing the final document...but I digress.

I told you all, yesterday, about how traumatic the day was for Kai, having been separated from the only caregivers he has ever known. However, by the time he woke up, this morning, you could see his little personality starting to emerge: Cautious smiles and reaching out to hold on to the only somewhat familiar hand, as we heading down to breakfast...it is no less than a miracle, when you consider the resiliency of a child in these circumstances. Breakfast only helped! The kid loves bacon and eggs! So now we have noodles, bacon, and eggs to his food repertoire ...cool...I can make all those! By the time the meal was over, he had started to sing a little bit. This is the moment I knew he was my son...food makes me sing, too!

This transformation came to a screeching halt as soon as we walked back "into that place"...a building that brought such joy to us and such pain for Kai. I could not believe how noticeably withdrawn he became. I think it shows so clearly on his face in the below pictures. The process took about an hour, and Kai stayed pretty much the same...right up until we were back to the hotel and heading out to a local noodle shop for lunch. I have this great video of Kai on Jay's back in the carrier, singing this little ditty that stuck with him (and us) the rest of the day. You'll have to come to our house and watch "the vacation trip" to see that one. Suffice it to say, it was precious and heartwarming!

Though we all desperately needed a nap after the morning's events, we decided to power through and take a tour of a local garden on Biyoun Mountain, with our new Texas Friends. It was really cool...but unfortunately, those pictures are on Jay's camera and he is not here. Where is he? Well let me tell you!

On the bus ride over to the garden, Jay was telling the guys of his adventure to the watch market when we here last. So that turned into an immediate scheduling of another guy adventure out to see what kind of deals they could score. In other words, the women-folk were sent back home to take care of the children. (which was FINE by me!) The picture of the watches below is the only record I have that tells of the boys NOT at the watch market, but down a dark alley and into some guy's private building. He reportedly made some good deals, but have yet to see the goods. I'm sure there will be more to that story!!

Meanwhile, Kai and I came back to the room for baths and more noodles...and M&M's...oh yeah...he loves those, too! (It's like he was made for me:-)

So he has finally crashed and I am not far behind. Tomorrow, we head out to apply for Kai's passport, but will otherwise, walk to the park and lay low.

I believe the pictures will be understood if you read this lengthy post!

Love to all!!



















1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful pictures. Cam and Cael must be so anxious and excited to have their little brother home with them.

    ReplyDelete